Sleep Apnea And Treatment in South Tampa
Do you have Sleep Apnea?
Sleep Apnea is a sleeping disorder that happens when a person’s breathing is interrupted during sleep. It is one of the most common sleep disorders in the United States in both children and adults. There are three types of Sleep Apnea, the most common being Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA): This occurs when the airway at the back of the throat becomes physically blocked and causes temporary lapses in breathing.
- Central Sleep Apnea (CSA): This occurs when the nervous system has trouble controlling the muscles involved in respiration.
- Mixed Sleep Apnea: This occurs when you are experiencing both OSA and CSA.
What are the Common Symptoms?
- Disrupted breathing in which you experience labored or even a stop in breath for one minute at a time.
- Chronic snoring: The most common Symptom of OSA . *This does not mean that everyone who snores has sleep apnea.
- Excessive daytime tiredness
- Morning headaches
- Irritability and limited attention span
Causes of Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Multiple factors increase the risk of blockage when they sleep. This includes obesity, use of sedatives, family history, cigarette smoking, and sleeping on your back. Anatomical characteristics can also directly affect airflow.
Sleep Apnea Device: The Panthera D-SAD®
The Panthera D-SAD® is a dental appliance that treats snoring and/or Obstructive Sleep Apnea. It is recommended for the treatment of snoring, mild to moderate sleep apnea, and severe sleep apnea for patients who do not tolerate CPAP treatment. Unlike hand-crafted appliances, the Panthera D-SAD® is designed specifically for you from a 3-D scan of your mouth. It is designed for patient comfort and compliance using CAM/CAD technology. The device is made with biocompatible medical-grade nylon and is resistant to bruxism, cracking, and abrasion.
If you are looking for a Sleep Apnea Device, give South Tampa Dental Studio a call at 813.356.0555